Womens Junior Varsity Cheerleading
Practice/Tryout Schedule:(4:00 – 6:00 Monday)
We will be scheduling try-outs in ten minute increments on Monday, December 7. I will be emailing both the athlete and parent so they know when their scheduled time is. They will come in and be screened in the front door. Athletes MUST be wearing a mask! They will then wait in the hallway below the auxiliary gym until they are called upstairs for their try-out. The try-outs themselves will only take roughly 10 minutes, and athletes MUST leave right after their try-out!
Your athlete and parent will be emailed if you make either team! They will be emailed AT approximately 7:00 PM December 7th.
Paperwork must be submitted prior to Tryouts before or after-school in RM 519. You must have an updated physical form completed by a physician and parent, a concussion form and fine free at Ashley. All of these forms must be completed in Planet High School. These forms must be completed on MONDAY 7TH, to Coach Babineau, in order for you to be cleared in time. You can find all the needed paperwork for try-outs under the "Team files" tab.
- You have received a tryout packet with a list of requirements that MUST be signed by you and your parents/guardian BEFORE you are eligible for tryouts. Included in this list is a very important personal information sheet with MANDATORY health insurance info or a copy of your insurance card.
- You will be required to perform at minimum 2 jumps, (choices are toe touch, pike, hurdler, combos), cheers, chants, band dances, and tumbling. There will be no spotting on tumbling.
- For try-outs you must wear athletic shoes, black shorts, and a white t-shirt. No tanks tops will be allowed. Tardiness and improper attire will be taken into consideration during the evaluation process. You may not remain in try-outs unless properly attired.
- If you are selected for a squad, you must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to cheer Fall semester of 2020. These requirements must also be met at the END of the Fall semester 2020 in order for you to cheer the Spring semester of 221.
- Pass a minimum of 3 subjects the previous semester.
- Have been in attendance at least 85% of the previous semester. (You cannot have missed more than 13 school days.)
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.0 or have a 70% avg. in all classes in the previous semester.
If you have any questions, contact Coach Babineau – Head Cheerleading Coach email@example.com
Angela Babineau – Varsity Coach Lindsey McDermott - JV Coach
Hello potential AHS Cheerleaders!
We truly hope you all are doing well and staying safe during this crazy time! We miss getting to interact and see all of your faces in the hallways of Ashley High School!
If you have not heard - our beloved Coach Griggs is moving to Texas! While she will be missed by all at Ashley, especially the cheerleading program, Angela Babineau is excited to be taking over and running the varsity program while Lindsey McDermott will be stepping in to coach the JV girls. Both of us are excited to begin working with all of you and creating new Cheer memories this year!
As you are all well aware, Covid-19 has created a very unique and unprecedented situation for all aspects of life. In an attempt to work with the new demands/constraints on high school athletics in New Hanover County, we have come up with a solution which we believe will help you progress with your skills while still following the required rules and regulations. Videos are now posted in both the Varsity and JV sections of our Ashley Athletics Cheer Webpage (they are the exact same videos). We ask that you watch the videos to learn the cheers/dances and practice those at home. Our intention is for you to practice on your own so that you are prepared and ready when we [eventually] are able to evaluate you in person (on that specific material). Unfortunately, we do not know exactly when that evaluation will take place due to the changing requirements from NCHSAA, our governor, and New Hanover County Schools. We sincerely hope that we will be able to begin before the new school year in August! We also hope you will have patience and understanding while we learn to adjust and cope with these requirements and regulations. All of us would much rather have normal tryouts and practices but we have to consider the safety of our athletes, coaches, and all those involved - first and foremost.
As we gain new information about dates, workout material, or any other perdent information- we will update the website. So please check back regularly! You can also email Coach Babineau at firstname.lastname@example.org and/or Coach McDermott at email@example.com
What Can You Do Right Now??!?!?! Be Proactive and make sure to complete the following forms. ALL of these are required for cheer tryout on day one! They can be found in the files section of this website. SEE BELOW FOR MORE DETAILS:
Things you will need to fill out in Planet High School. You will need to make an account if you don't already have done:
- Concussion Form
- Parent Health Questionnaire
- NCHSAA Initial Screening for COVID-19 (NEW FORM)
- Current Medical Physical
- Any returning athletes need to make sure you have moved your stuff from the previous school year, to the current school year, 20-21!
Pending Return to School
Additional Cheer forms that will be required (Not found in Planet High School):
- Face to Face Tryout Form
- Tryout Consent Form
- Signature Page
Please contact us if you have any questions, and we can't wait to see you all again (eventually!)
Coach Babineau & Coach McDermott